Food Scrap Recycling Program
In an ongoing effort to reduce the amount of waste going to the landfills, Orangetown is partnering with Rockland Green to Recycle Residents’ Food Scraps
Why separate your food scraps?
Food Scraps are the single largest component in the Municipal Solid Waste stream (MSW). Decomposition of Food Scraps in a landfill produces methane, a greenhouse gas 20 times more damaging than CO2. Food Scraps are valuable materials that if properly collected and composted can help reduce pollution and improve overall quality of life. Your Food Scraps will be processed into beautiful nutrient rich compost instead of heading to the landfill that is over 320 miles from Rockland County.
How to Food Scrap Recycle in Orangetown, it’s easy:
1. COLLECT your food scraps in a small bin stored on the countertop or under the sink. Line your bin with Rockland Green’s compostable brown bags.
2. TRANSFER the bagged food scraps from the small bin into the large white or green bin to store until you’re ready to drop them off.
3. DROP OFF your bagged food scraps in the large bin at Orangetown’s Food Scrap Drop-off Site. It is located at 119 Route 303 and Jim Dean Drive, Orangeburg, NY, next to the Residential Drop-off Site. Go past the Highway garages and look for the sign on your left. The Food Scrap Drop-off Site is open Monday-Saturday, 8am-3pm. There will be no charge to drop off Food Scraps.
The food scraps must be dropped off in Rockland Green’s compostable brown bags!
**Residents must use the lined Compostable Brown Bags provided free of charge by the Highway Department. They are not the same as the leaf bags.**
What can be placed into the Composting Bags?
Fruits and Vegetables (remove stickers, bands, and ties)
Meat and Poultry (bones ok)
Fish and Shellfish (shells ok)
Bread & Pasta
Rice and Grains
Chips and Snacks
Beans, Nuts & Seeds
Leftover and Spoiled Food
Coffee Grounds (paper filters ok)
Tea Bags (no staples)
NO plastic bags, compostable/biodegradable bags, packaging, stickers, rubber bands or twist ties.
NO pet waste, baby wipes, foil, paper plates or paper towels.
NO plastic, glass, metal or kitchenware.
If it’s not on the list, IT IS NOT compostable in Rockland County!
Getting the Rockland Green Brown Compostable Bags:
1. You can pick up your free Rockland Green Brown Compostable Bags at the Orangetown Highway Department located at 119 Route 303, Orangeburg, NY.
2. Their hours of operation are Monday-Friday from 7 am – 4 pm.
3. Bags are also available at all Orangetown libraries, Nyack Village Hall and Piermont Village Hall. Proof of residency is required.